Frequently Asked Questions
Review the Saint Bartholomew FAQ below, or download a copy: (PDF)
1. How are Morning Arrival Procedures handled?
Students may be dropped off only after 7:15am. Kindergarteners may go to the gym to wait until 7:30am at which time a teacher will escort them to class at 7:30 am. Grades 1st -8th may go to the cafeteria and wait there until 7:30am after which time they should go immediately to their assigned classroom.
Students are asked to be in their classrooms NO LATER than 7:45am when morning announcements will begin. Students coming in after 7:45am need to report to the office before going to class. (See Tardies policy in student handbook online. Note: Bus delays do not count as a tardy.)
When dropping off in the morning PLEASE have your student(s) exit the car on the passenger side only and begin exiting cars when you can see the north end of the school building outside the window.
2. How are Afternoon Dismissal/Pick-Up Procedures handled?
ALL Students should be picked up through the car-line. We ask that you…
a. NOT come into the building to wait at the bottom of the stairs.
b. NOT wait outside the exit door to take your children when they exit the building.
Cars line up facing the Kindergarten building (south) in 7 rows of cars.
Please DO NOT get out of your car and call your children to your car.
Teachers/administrators will release your children as they see the car sign you have been provided with your family’s name on it.
When all students in one car line are loaded we will release that car line (left to right) and ask that you pull straight ahead all the way through the car line in order to exit the parking lot.
3. What are the details of the school Dress Code?
The online link to the Dress Code Requirements is as follows: St. Bartholomew Dress Code (PDF)
Please notify the school office if you did not receive a hard copy of the dress code and wish to have one.
School uniforms can be purchased through Lands’ End. Click here for the link to our Lands’ End school page.
4. What are Spirit Wear days and Dress Down days?
See Exceptions section from the Dress Code
5. What are some significant events on the School Calendar 2017-2018?
Link to school calendar online to view all significant events: St. Bartholomew Events Calendar
Parent Information Night
School Families Back to School Night
- An informal time for children & parents to meet their new teachers, bring their school supplies to their new classroom, meet new classmates and see old friends.
First PTO Meeting
PTO Fall Festival (fundraiser)
- This fundraiser is hosted by our school PTO and open to the entire parish and public community. It is a family event with game booths run by each grade and specialty booths (Family Fun Jars, Peg Board, cake/baked goods auction, etc.) All parents are encouraged to participate in their child(ren)’s grade activity/booth. Please contact the PTO President for more information. Claudia Jackson– email@example.com or Click Here
Grandparents’ Day/All School Mass
- This is a school wide event to allow grandparents the opportunity to see student(s)’ school/classroom and attend all-school mass.
- This is an all school student luncheon meal hosted by the PTO to celebrate Thanksgiving. It takes place in the school gymnasium.
2nd/3rd Grade Christmas Play
- This is a program put on by the 2nd & 3rd grade classes each year. Parents, relatives and friends are invited to come. The 1:30pm performance is generally for the school’s student body. The second evening performance is offered for those who can not attend the daytime performance.
Catholic Schools Week
- This is a fun filled week to celebrate the joy and faith of our rich and rewarding mission of Catholic Schools Education. Details to be announced in the weeks leading up to Catholic Schools Week.
PTO Mother-Son Jock Rock Night
- This is an event sponsored by our school PTO. It allows moms (or aunt/grandmother etc.) and their special boy(s) to enjoy an evening of fun, food and fellowship.
PTO Father-Daughter Dance
- This is an event sponsored by our school PTO. It allows dads (or uncles/grandfathers, etc.) and their special girl(s) to enjoy an evening of fun, food and dancing.
- This is an annual banquet to celebrate all the talents of all our sports teams and individuals
- This is a main fundraiser for our school that includes a meal, entertainment, live and silent auction items. This is an evening for adults only (school parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers, and staff) to get out and enjoy a nice meal and other adult company. It is also a chance to acquire a class artwork made by your child’s class.
5th Grade Musical
- This is a spring musical program led by Mrs. Owens each spring and performed by our 5th grades classes. Parents, relatives and friends are invited to come. The 1:30pm performance is generally for the school’s student body. The second evening performance at 7pm is offered for those who cannot attend the daytime performance.
6. What are the Mass Days/Times/Expectations of students and families?
- All-School Masses will be held weekly on Thursday at 8:15am unless otherwise noted on the school calendar or announced by the school administration. All are welcome. Students may sit with parents at regular All-School Masses if parents arrive by 8:10. Non-Catholic participants and Catholic participants having not yet received First Communion may come to Eucharist for a blessing. All Catholic participants having already received their First Communion are expected to receive full communion. Students must wear school uniform to Mass.
Catholic families are also strongly encouraged to attend weekend Mass with their child(ren).
7. What are some extracurricular activities we offer at St. Bartholomew School?
- Boys & Girls Scouts
- Lego League, Solar Cars
- Spell Bowl, Math Bowl, Geography Bee
- Church Band, Band
- Children’s Choir
See the student handbook for more details or contact the school office.
- Girls & Boys Basketball – 4th grade
- Girls & Boys Basketball, Volleyball & Cheerleading – 5th & 6th grade
- Girls & Boys Basketball, Volleyball & Cheerleading – 7th & 8th grade
- Girls & Boys Co-ed Soccer – 7th & 8th grade
- Girls & Boys C0-ed Golf – 7th & 8th grade
We also have a partnership with North Side Middle School for our students to participate in NSMS Athletic programs not currently offered at St. Bartholomew (Cross Country, Track & Field, Football, etc).
Please contact our school’s athletic director for additional information. The online link to our Athletic Department information is as follows:
8. How are student grades handled? JupiterGrades
Report cards for Kindergarten-3rd grades will be standards-based. Report cards for students in 4th-8th grades will be traditional. You will be able to view all of your child(ren)’s grades through JupiterGrades. Report cards will be emailed to parents each quarter.
This is a system required for all diocesan schools to maintain student data, create and send reports to the Indiana Department of Education, and distribute important/urgent information to all school families. Please be sure you inform the school office if you have any changes to your contact information.
9. How do I volunteer at St. Bartholomew School?
Every adult that wishes to volunteer at school (or with children in any capacity within the Archdiocese of Indianapolis) must complete the new online program called ‘Safe & Sacred.’ This program can be found on the website of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis or a link is provided on our school website. It is an online program that last about 45 mins. It includes a video with a Q&A response section at the end of the session. This program is required for the safety and care of our children.
Safe & Sacred web link:
Once ‘Safe & Sacred’ is completed there are many many many opportunities for volunteering at St. Bartholomew.
A. PTO events
Please email our PTO President: Claudia Jackson – Click Here
B. Class room helpers
C. Room parent
D. Special School events
E. Lunch Duty/Fundraiser lunches
F. Grant Writing
G. Mentor Families
H. Monthly Grade sponsored lunches
I. Christmas luncheon for teachers
J. Thanksgiving Feast
K. Catholic Schools Week
L. Children’s Choir
….and so much more!
10. What is the procedure to Sign in/out of school for students and volunteers/visitors?
- Please stop at the front desk of the school’s main office (inside front doors and turn right to go up the stairs) to sign your child(ren) out/in of school for any appointments and also for visitors (i.e. dropping off lunches, forgotten homework, etc.) and volunteers.
- If you are a visitor or a volunteer, you will be issued a name tag at the office that you must wear in the school.
- We ask that you NOT go to your child(ren)’s classroom directly. This is very distracting to the children and has the potential to disrupt a lesson the teacher is trying give.
11. Will the FACTS program also handle my Hot/Fundraiser Lunch, Field Trip and all other miscellaneous charges from school?
Yes, FACTS will manage Hot lunch, Fundraiser Lunches, Field Trip monies, band fees, and tuition. Please DO NOT send any money for these things in to the school office by personal checks and cash.
“LUNCH” account on FACTS:
- hot lunch
- milk money
- hot dog day lunch
- lunch on the yard
“FIELD TRIPS/SUPPLY FEES” account on FACTS:
- field trips
- novels purchased for students by the school (mostly middle school)
“SPECIAL” account on FACTS:
- ONLY used by 4th-8th grade students for band
FACTS help line:
Phone (toll free): 866-441-4637
Monday – Thursday 7:30 am – 7:00 pm (CST)
Friday 7:30 am – 5:00 pm (CST)
12. Where can I find out the hot lunch menu and fundraiser lunches dates?
- Hot lunch menus are also posted on the school website month by month. To access/view please click the ‘MENU’ tab on the school’s website.
- We are also a provider of Free & Reduced Price lunches. Please contact the school office for an application form.
- Hot lunch (includes 1 milk) – Menu on school website.
- Students can also purchase just milk (white or chocolate)
- September Lunch Menu September Menu (click here)
- October Lunch Menu October Menu (click here)
Other lunch options:
- Salad on Tuesday & Thursday
- Box Lunch on Monday, Wednesday & Friday (they alternate between ham & turkey sandwiches)
- Peanut Butter (only sandwich) – any day (you get the rest of hot lunch for that day just not the main course)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich – any day (you get the rest of hot lunch for that day just not the main course)
(Note: all monies handled through FACTS system – “LUNCH” account option)
13. What are some of the special class events & field trips at St. Bartholomew?
- Kindergarten – Kindy 500 and the Indianapolis Zoo
- 1st – Appleworks in Trafalgar
- 2nd – First Communion and go to a play at Clowes Hall every other year, Christmas Play
- 3rd – Art Museum in Indianapolis, Christmas Play
- 4th – Connor Prairie and JA Biztown
- 5th – JA Biztown, 5th Grade Musical
- 6th – CYO Camp Field Trip
- 7th – Chicago
- 8th – Washington DC, 8th Grade Retreat
14. What is SCRIP?
This is a school wide year around fundraising program that allows student families to raise money for class trips, individual tuition reduction, and school programs. The best thing about SCRIP is that the gift cards you purchase you do so at face value and there are no extra fees that you incur. When you go to spend the gift card you spend the full value you paid at purchase. The vendor donates a designated % of the card you purchase to the school for your benefit. You decide if you want the money credited to your tuition account, your class trip account or donate it back to the school. You can even split the money raised between these accounts. (i.e. 50% – your school tuition and 50% to school). For example, if you shop at Target you can get a gift card for $50 and Target donates 2.5% of that $50 to you/St. Bartholomew! You may purchase cards each week online or with Linda Smith in the concessions window each Friday after school, purchase online or submit a paper order with a check to Linda via the school communication folder (manual orders are submitted each Sunday evening no later than 7PM EST).
Contact Linda Smith for questions and details regarding this fabulous program!
SCRIP web link: Click Here for SCRIP Web Link
15. When is our school nurse available?
Our school nurse, Theresa Hotek, is available 8:00am – 3:00pm on Monday – Friday. If you have any questions regarding your student(s) medical records or health please feel free to contact her via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the school office 812-379-9353.
16. When is our school counselor available?
Our school counselor, Jill Mulligan, is available all day Tuesday – Friday. If you have any questions or would like to have your child see the counselor please feel free to contact her via email email@example.com or by calling the school office 812-379-9353.